Mathematics is a compulsory subject as per KNEC requirement. However, most students have a negative attitude towards the subject and lack pre-requisite skills in the subject. As a department, we have put in place programmes and approaches to enable learners acquire the necessary knowledge and skills.
Our major aim is to demystify mathematics, motivate students to like it and aim very high in the subject. The commitment and dedication of the teachers who are putting a lot of effort in supervision of students and increasing contact hours is great. This has resulted in a marked improvement in the subject's performance. The learners have also acquired a positive attitude towards the subject.
Sciences – The subjects covered under the science department are Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. They form the foundation for most of the science-oriented courses at the tertiary and university level.Members of the science department
Chemistry and Biology are compulsory while Physics is optional in forms, 2,3, and 4.
To enable students enjoy the subjects and perform well, lessons are designed to be learner-centered. This is possible because all teachers in the department have undergone INSERVICE Training by CEMESTEA (SMASE Programme). In every subject, we have subject champions who are teachers working closely with KNEC.
The department has a membership of 16 teachers serving the 860 Boys. They are:-
- Mr. Kennedy Bunyasi – Physics / Chemistry
- Mrs. Purity Nyaga – Biology – H.O.D
- Mrs. Catherine Njoroge – Biology / Maths – H.O.S.
- Mrs. Susan Maina – Chemistry / Maths – H.O.S. Chemistry
- Mrs. Lydia Nyaga – Chemistry / Maths – H.O.D. Maths
- Mrs. Judith Mosenya – Chemistry / Biology
- Mrs. Caroline Kimotho – Chemistry
- Mr. Samuel Kimani – Chemistry / Maths
- Mr. Denish Nyagol – Chemistry/ Maths
- Mr. Cliff Ogachi – Physics / Maths
- Mr. Polycarp Orinda - Physics / Maths
- Mr. Joseph Otsieno – Biology / chemistry
- Miss. Lilian Ochieng – Biology / Agriculture
- Mr. Dan Omari – Maths / Business Studies
- Mr. Michael Ouma – Maths / Business Studies
- Mr. Yobes Munala – Maths / Physics – H.O.S. Physics
Teacher / student ratio is 1:46. The teachers also prepare students for activities such as – symposiums and science fairs where our students have performed fairly well.
MRS. PURITY NYAGA